Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Utility Quilt

I love the idea of making utility quilts from old work clothes. I especially enjoy the texture of denim and twill fabrics. I have loads of material salvaged from old pairs of jeans and khakis, and decided to get started by using up the little bits first. This one is just four inch squares, many of them cut from the insides of pockets. It's sewn together with a half inch seam allowance. Here it is on the sewing machine:

The Kenmore sewing machine was my grandmother's, then my mother's. It's over fifty years old and has never once needed any repairs. It's pretty basic--only does forward and reverse, and buttonholes--but that's all I need for most of my projects. Oh, check out the nifty vintage pin box--also my grandmother's.

No comments: